Wednesday, February 13, 2019

"FETC 2019: The Right Stuff for the Future of Education"

From EdTech Digest: https://edtechdigest.com/2019/02/12/fetc-2019-the-right-stuff-for-the-future-of-education/ 

Highlights and insights from my personal adventures at the epicenter of edtech.


UNPACKING EDTECH | by Mark Gura

I’m back from this year’s FETC in Orlando, just a few miles from Florida’s Space Coast.



While my colleagues back in the trenches in many parts of the country were shivering and hunkering down to weather a soul chilling Polar Vortex, I was basking in the warmth of some of the very best of my chosen field at the annual Future of Education Technology in sunny Florida.



The conference website proudly sang “For nearly 40 years, the Future of Education Technology Conference has gathered the most dynamic and creative education professionals from around the world for an intensive, highly collaborative exploration of new technologies, best practices and pressing issues…“
And for two inspiring days, I danced to that tune.
Sitting down now, I’m pumped and ready to share the highlights of my experience.

Education Reimagined

In the VIP Lounge a few minutes before he delivered the opening keynote, I found myself chatting with Salman Khan, now famous founder of the Khan Academy. I put him on the spot asking him to give some advice to of my students; I teach graduate, Educational Technology Leadership courses for a few universities.


To his credit, his diligently wrapped his brain around the question, offering that they really need to find people in the field doing good work and ask them lots of good questions. And I’ll hold up my end of the bargain and pass that along to young teachers who, as they become more and more tech savvy, very often find themselves, often unexpectedly, guiding and leading their own colleagues who need authentic, relevant information and advice. In fact, that kind of sums up much of the activity and worth I observed throughout the conference....

Read the rest of the article at its source: https://edtechdigest.com/2019/02/12/fetc-2019-the-right-stuff-for-the-future-of-education/

No comments:

Post a Comment